Share this with your friends
The cannabis plant is certainly getting a great deal of attention with legalization movements and legislation occurring in virtually every state in America and throughout the world. Aside from medicinal and recreational uses, industrial hemp is being used to create fibers, oil, seeds and food. Industrial hemp is the non-psychoactive portion of the cannabis sativa plant, the seeds have are about the size of a sesame seed and have a light, nutty flavor. Shelled hemp seeds can be pressed for oil, milled into a protein powder, roasted or shelled and made into hemp foods.
An excellent choice of a hemp product that can be found in Utah markets is Tempt Hemp Milk from Living Harvest. This is a creamy, non-dairy milk type beverage, gluten, soy and GMO free.
Tempt Hemp Milk is an ideal, non-dairy alternative which is vegan and gluten-free and ideal for anyone with soy or dairy allergies. It is also a rich source of essential vitamins, minerals and fatty acids and hemp seed contains “the balanced combination of essential fatty and amino acids provided a nutritional profile unlike any other vegetable”. As noted on their packaging, Tempt Hemp Milk features the perfect balance of naturally-occurring Omega-3’s with SDA and Omega-6’s with GIA as well as a valuable sources of protein, magnesium, phosphorus, Vitamin E, iron and zinc.
The Living Harvest website contains a variety of recipes, from smoothies, to milkshakes and even pesto. Here are just a few of these excellent recipes:
Tempting Milkshakes Blend 4 scoops of any flavor of Tempt frozen desserts with¾ cup of Tempt Hemp Milk for a delicious, cool treat.
- 1 cup Tempt Original Hempmilk
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 banana, chopped
- 1 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 1 cup frozen mango chunks
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut (fine)
- 1 Tbsp. agave nectar
- 2 Tbsp. Living Harvest Original Hemp Protein powder (optional)
Blend until smooth and enjoy!
Fresh Coconut Hemp Smoothie
- Water from 1 young coconut
- Meat from 1 young coconut
- Handful of cashews
- 2 bananas
- 3 tablespoons of Living Harvest Hemp Protein powder (optional)
- 12 ounces of Tempt Original Hempmilk
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- Squeeze of agave nectar
Blend and enjoy!
Fresh Basil & Hemp Pesto Prep time: about 10 minutes
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- ½ cup freshly grated Roman cheese (sheep) or a non-dairy equivalent
- ½ cup Living Harvest Organic Hemp Oil
- 1/3 cup organic hemp seeds
- 3 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
- Salt & Freshly ground pepper to taste
Place and puree ingredients in blender. Serve by mixing in with your favorite pasta dish. (Submitted by: Doreen Gubernat-Hogan)
Supreme Hemp Protein Treats Prep time about 30 minutes Yields about 40 balls – about 1 inch
- 2 cups creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks (Vegan, Non-Dairy, no Trans Fat & no Hydrogenated Fat)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract (or more to taste)
- 2 cups (Approximate) Tempt Vanilla Spice Protein Powder or you can use the Original Hemp Protein Powder
- ½ cup organic sugar (to taste)
- 1 cup organic unsweetened shredded coconut
- Parchment paper
- Cookie sheet
Place the peanut butter, vegan butter, and salt in microwavable bowl for about 1 minute or until soft. Then stir in vanilla, tempt vanilla spice protein powder and organic sugar, to taste. Mix until consistency is dough like. Roll into 1 inch round balls. Roll balls and coat balls in shredded coconut. Place parchment paper onto cookie sheet. Place finished rolled balls onto cookie sheet. Place in refrigerator for 1 hour or more so all ingredients can set. (Submitted by: Doreen Gubernat-Hogan)
Try some Hemp Milk today – you might be surprised by it’s taste and versatility – while supporting the cannabis industry.
Hungry for more hemp products? Check out past hemp product Ladybud reviews!
Got an itchin’ to work in the kitchen? Check out Ladybud’s collection of recipes!